Thursday, September 10, 2015

What's on my needles (week 80)

Last week I finished the light Summer cardigan.  Amazingly I have not been able to wear it yet as we are having a very hot month of September so far; too hot for even the breeziest of long sleeves.

But that did not stop me from casting on another sweater.
Last year Ira who was the original owner of Samuel's in Rhinebeck passed away (see also my post at that time :http://knitwithdoris.blogspot.com/2014/04/whats-on-my-needles-week-12.html).  Ira was a passionate knitter and his partner let his knitterly friends have some of his stashed yarn.  With some encouragement from my co-worker Julie who knows that I am very partial to the color "green", I gave his Berroco Blackstone Tweed a new home with me.

I found a pattern which I think will go really well with this worsted weight yarn:  "Idlewild" by Julie Hoover : http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/idlewild
You can click on the link to view it on ravelry.  You can buy it on ravelry for $8.  This is an over-sized sweater/ tunic which can be worn on its own with leggings or over a skirt, pants (I am making mine about 4 inches longer).  I think it will be the perfect garment for a cold winter.  Idlewild can be worked in any Worsted or Aran weight yarn (Manos del Uruguay, Madeline Tosh, Heikoo Simply Worsted...to name a few we carry at the shop).  To show off the cabling, you will want to choose a solid or only slightly variegated yarn.

I am getting the right gauge on US# 8 needles, but don't like the looseness and am knitting on US#7 needles. As this is not a fitted garment it will just make it a little less oversized.
my swatch; bottom half on US#7, top half on US#8
I am knitting this two sizes bigger to give it a lot of positive ease (minus the smaller gauge); the sweater the model is wearing has 7 inches of positive ease.
Whenever I knit up two identical pieces I knit two at the time and have started this sweater the same way.  The sweater is knitted in two pieces with dolman sleeves, so when I get to the sleeves I will have to use an extra long cable!!


 I love the cabling and if I have yarn left, I may make a cowl with the same cable motif.
 

These last two pictures probably show the color best
Check here on ravelry to see my progress on the sweater: http://ravel.me/Strickliese/i2

No comments:

Post a Comment