Friday, June 15, 2012

Health Benefits of knitting

Judy is a wonderful knitting instructor in the New Paltz area and a little bit my role model.  As I was reading Judy Reichler's blog Knit With Judy. I came across her post "reasons to knit" and want to share with you about the health benefits attributed to knitting such as prevention of memory loss and boosting the immune system.  Check out this CBS video: Health Benefits of Knitting
In order to keep your knitting relaxing it is a good idea to take frequent breaks and do some exercises specifically designed to release stress in those areas which often get sore from repetitive overuse.  Click here for some advise on exercises: Relaxation Exercises for knitters.  And this one is great for working out a shoulder knot; you will need to have a tennis ball handy: Getting rid of a shoulder knot
Here are more links to research done to show just how good it is to knit or crochet:

  • Let's start with this cute video.  Please note that the benefits will be the same no matter which method of knitting you use (Continental, English etc.)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to know that something I love to do is good for my health. Now I just need to find out how to cure my sore neck and shoulder from knitting too much! Any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobbi, I have the same problems with my shoulder and neck. I know I SHOULD take a break and do some exercises, but after the next row or the row after that and then it is often too late and I have such a pain that I need to sit out for knitting and take a break for a day or two. These are the exercises I find particular helpful:
    http://knittingguru.com/exercisesforknitters.html
    I just added the link to this in my post,too, so you can just click on it.
    Try and and take a break frequently.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete