Wednesday, August 2, 2023

I ❤️ MATH

 




WIP WEDNESDAY /  I ❤️ MATH !!!
Educational post on yarn substitution.
The story:
I was given a big ball of yellow Malabrigo worsted weight yarn with the request for a hat.
We decided on a Fair Isle Hat ( yellow and blue) and very quickly settled on the Bernat Winter Weekend Knit Hat For Him by Yarnspirations.
The challenge:  
I did a deep dive into my yarn remnants and stash and thought about combining the Ullcentrum 2-ply Sport with Rowan Kidsilk Haze to get to the same weight.
How exactly do I do that?
I came across an article which explains it so clearly and logical that I wondered why I never looked at it this way before.  You basically calculate weight per one yard for the yarns in question and see how you can get to the same weight/ yard ratio.  In my case I would have had to combine two strands of the Rowan Kidsilk Haze with the Ullcentrum to get to the same weight as the Malabrigo.  Since I did not want to do that, I went back and looked some more and found the Tahki Yarns Chelsea Silk which comes to the exact same weight as the Malabrigo.
Problem solved, and it shows in the knitted hat how well these two work together.
Here is a link to the full article:

https://www.susannawinter.net/post/2019/12/20/math-for-knitters-knitting-with-yarn-held-double

And these are the yarns I had looked at:
A-  Malabrigo Worsted   210yd/ 100g
B- Ullcentrum 2-ply Sport 328 yd/ 100g
C- Rowan Kidsilk Haze. 229 yd/ 25 g
D- TahkiYarns Chelsea Silk  105 yd/ 50g

And last, but not least a link to my project on Ravelry:

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/Strickliese/winter-weekend-hat-man


No comments:

Post a Comment