Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What's on my needles

At The Knitting Garage at AL Stickle

I am working on two store samples right now.

 
For one project I am following a pattern called "Verse".  I was attracted to the pattern because it is a simple knit. I can be working at the register and not loose count on a complicated pattern.  You only have to know the knit stitch, purl stitch, yarn overs and two togethers.  So this is a good pattern for the beginner knitter.  The finished project can be worn many different ways; thus the name "verse" from versatile.  I choose a lighter yarn than the one suggested thinking of Spring and warmer weather while knitting this up.  The yarn I am using is the Cascade "Kid Seta Noir" which is a lovely Mohair and Silk blend with some Metal which adds a little sparkle and Nylon which gives it a little more "body memory ", making it less floppy. 
I am looking forward to the creative possibilities when I pick out the ribbon for this.
You can view the progress on ravelry here: VERSE


For the other store sample I am using a yarn called " Dyelot Yarns Stimulus Package".  This is not just a skein of yarn, but a whole concept.  You get six different small hanks of yarn in the skein.  All of them dyed in similar colors, different shades.  These are the yarns included:
Twisted: 100% Merino (103yd/2oz/57g)
Circulo: 78% Mohair, 13% Wool, 9% Nylon (94yd/2oz/57g)
Harry: 76% Mohair, 13% Wool, 11% Nylon (130yd/2oz/57g)
Deborah: 50% Silk, 50% Superfine Merino (106yd/1oz/48g)
Alpaca: 100% Superfine Alpaca (129yd/2oz/57g)
Merino: 100% Superwash Merino (108yd/2oz/57g)

You can choose from several patterns which use just one of these skeins. To see their suggested patterns (most of them free) click here:  Stimulus yarn patterns
I am working on the "Fortune's Wheel" and I love the fact that I can choose the sequence of when I use which yarn; it gives me a little room for creativity.
You can view the progress I am making on this project on ravelry here:  FORTUNE"S WHEEL


 At Home

At home I am working on a raglan sweater in a beautiful turquoise yarn I found in the clearance bin at The Knitting Garage last Fall.  I was able to buy five skeins of the Ella Rae worsted.  I decided on a top down raglan construction, because that gives me the chance to shorten the body and/ or sleeves if I don't have enough yarn.  I also wanted a simple sweater for everyday wear with which I can wear my shawls  (I love making and wearing shawls).
Until the holidays I was so busy with gifts that I waited until earlier this month to start on "Beeline" by Heidi Kirrmaier.  I am working on this as much as I can just to see how far the yarn will take me.  I finished the body to the point where I could do the ribbing and bind off, but left it on my cables to see if I can make it a little longer.  Instead I am now working on one of the sleeves and I am starting to relax, seeing that the sleeve is half way done and I have plenty more yarn.
You can find out more about this project in my notes on ravelry here:  BEELINE



No comments:

Post a Comment