Friday, July 3, 2015

What's on my needles (week 70)

  HAPPY 4th of JULY!

 

This week is again about "what has come off my needles" :)
I finished this really cute lacy layering top for my daughter-in-law. Shhhh, don't tell her that it is finished, because I am borrowing it for a week or so to display at The Knitting Garage at Stickles.
It may be good to stop by and have a look at the real thing as I have been told that the pictures don't do it justice...

This came out really nice and I cannot imagine anyone not wanting (at least) one of these for their summer wardrobe.

Pattern:  The pattern is free on ravelry here:  Cancun Boxy Lace Top by Erin Kate Archer

Sizing:  This is a "one size fits all", but can quite easily be knitted more narrow or longer (see also my pattern notes on ravelry here:  http://ravel.me/Strickliese/cblt)

Other changes to pattern:  I was very tempted to knit this in the round or at least to do a 3-needle bind off on the shoulders, but ended up to truly just make the two rectangles as it occurred to me that if ever Rachel gets tired of this top or the fashion changes, I can undo the seams and make it into a shawl by sewing the pieces together along the short edge:


 The Yarn: I used Cascade Sunseeker which has a little glitz in it which looks really cute when the sun makes it sparkle.  This yarn is a cotton /acrylic blend and seems perfect for this top. It has a nice drape to it and does not get too stretched out.  It is also easy on your budget at $8 per skein (about 2 1/2 skeins needed) and it comes in a lot of gorgeous colors!

Three ways to wear it: You can wear the top loose or thread a ribbon through the sides and tie it in the back for a more fitted look.  Either way looks great.
LOOSE:


















WITH A TIE-BACK:
Back



















WITH A RIBBON "BELT":
Front with ribbon "belt"

No comments:

Post a Comment