Thursday, March 9, 2017

Some thoughts about variegated yarns (Post# 129)

Perhaps you are tired of hearing about my sock knitting,  but it is due to many socks I have knitted so far (and will be knitting in the future), that I thought to share with you about the look a variegated yarn gives your knitting and how to avoid pooling of colors which may be more of a problem when knitting garments.
First, a definition of variegated yarn (from Wikipedia):
"Variegated yarn is yarn dyed with more than one colour. It can produce effects that vary depending on the technique of the crafter, the pattern used, and the frequency of colour change. These effects include "flashing" (lightning-bolt effects) and "pooling" (patchy or marbleized effects)."

Here are a few pairs of socks I knitted without considering how to break up the colors:

The yarns used (from left to right) are Crazy Zauberball by Schoppel,  Frolicking Feet by Done Roving, CoBaSi byHiKoo, and again CoBaSi by Hikoo,  Innovation Sockenwolle by Strauss, and last but not least CoBaSi by HiKoo.


If you want to break up the colors, the simplest way is to alternate between two different skeins making sure you don't start at the same point of the color sequence.

Another way is to choose a stitch which breaks up the sequence.  A slipped stitch is ideal for this.
I am presently working on two pairs of socks and I am using slipped stitches in both.

  • For a very dramatic effect you may want to choose this Quilted Lattice Stitch from Barbara Walters.
    Using Sock Yarn by Hedgehog Fibres color "Tremble"
The slipped stitch stretches over two rows and I think it looks really pretty.
The sock pattern by Linda Jo Park is free on ravelry:  Mexican Waters Lattice Socks

Here is the 8 row repeat for the stitch:
Rnd 1: *K1, sl5 wyif. Repeat from * to end of rnd.
Rnd 2 and all even numbered rnds: Knit.
Rnd 3: K3, *insert needle under loose strand and knit
next stitch, bring stitch out under strand, k5. Repeat
from * ending with K2.
Rnd 5: K4, *sl 5 wyif, k1. Repeat from * ending by
slipping 3 sts at beginning of rnd 6.
Rnd 7: *K first st under loose strand, k5. Repeat from
* ending with k first st under loose strand.
Rnd 8: See Rnd 2.

The only problem I ran into since I am not using the sock pattern, but my favorite FLK heel, is that due to the slipped stitches the top of the foot does not grow in length at the same speed as the sole.  I simply decided the heel turn on the length of the sole and it is giving me a perfect fit.



  • The other stitch I am using is the Waffle Stitch from Project Peace which is also a free pattern, this one by Christina Campbell on ravelry:  Project Peace
The stitch is a 4 row repeat:
ROUNDS 1–2: P1, slwyb, *P2,
slwyb, repeat from * until 1 st
before marker, P1, sm.
ROUNDS 3–4: Knit around.

Using Frolicking Feet Sock Yarn by Done Roving Yarns color "Mercury"

On other news:

My Caesura Tuck by Asa Tricosa is fitting beautifully (I tried it on).  The only concern I have now is the width of the shoulder straps, but if I cannot fix that with vigourus blocking, I will pick up stitches around the arm hole and work a few short rows to get something between a strap and a cupped sleeve.
This picture is not showing off the piece  well, but I didn't want to take pictures when I tried it on; so, keep posted :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment